The early history of Legion Cabs is part of the story of the rehabilitation of Australian ex-servicemen and women who served as members of the Australian Armed Forces during World War 2. The Australian Legion of Ex-Servicemen and Women was formed in 1944 to assist those returning from war in financial, physical and mental rehabilitation.
In 1947 the Australian Legion of Ex-Servicemen and Women was granted 50 licenses for unrestricted taxi plates by the Dept. of Roads and Transport to assist the organisation in generating employment opportunities in the community. These Licenses were allocated via ballot to nominated members of the organisation.
The 50 successful nominees agreed to form a Legion Cab Service and to subscribe to a code of discipline and control in the giving of an efficient and courteous service to the public. Legion Cabs has carried and built on these founding disciplines and controls to make it the professional organisation it is today.